Sunday, December 20, 2009

HELP!!! My washer overflowed and I have water soaking in the carpets!! What should I do?

I already told my insurance company. I bought a wet/dry vacuum too and vacuumed up all the water. To make matters worse, I live in a condo and it soaked her light fixtures and electrical wires. Should I call an electrician to go to her place or does insurance cover that? OH BOY...HELP!!! My washer overflowed and I have water soaking in the carpets!! What should I do?
Must be the season for it. I've been bailing out my basement myself.





Call Stanley Steemer or a similar company. They rent out fans that are specifically made to dry out carpets. I've worked in care facilities where this happened occasionally and it works in 24 to 48 hours depending on how bad this is.





Ask your insurance if they cover the electrical stuff, too. They should, it's all part of the same accident. Or her insurance may cover it.HELP!!! My washer overflowed and I have water soaking in the carpets!! What should I do?
i heard of a profeesional cleaning company on tv,u should look them up.%26amp; apologize to your neighbor,try to work out something to pay for the lights.so they dont sue you.
Well Ace: I will tell you this, you won't do it alone and, you may have wasted your money on the shop-vac.





The carpets have to all be pulled back and blow dried with big fans, this takes days, the carpet pad is shot, they never seem to dry. Those that try throw them out later due to mold and mildew. Double the job. The carpet will have to Be stretched and another carpet pad installed.


All the floors, cement or wood will have to be thoroughly dried or the smell will drive you out later. All electrical fixtures downstairs will have to be checked, this includes wall fixtures/switches the water will follow the wire down up to the switches.





Oh! and, are you going to pay the other tenants rent while she/he stays at a hotel while all this is going on ? And, her stay?





You've a lot to think about Honey, hang in there.
Pull back the carpet (cut it if you must) and get the padding out from underneath. Even if you try to dry your carpet without removing this pad, you will STILL accumulate mildew. Once you remove this, dry the water, replace the pad, dry your carpet with fans (do not use heaters just a normal oscillating fan), then you can stretch it and re-attach to floors. You may need to call someone to help with this step (but it is WAY cheaper then calling someone to do the whole process.) Good luck!
it would depend on what type of insurance you have, its possiable that it would cover it, depending on if you got really good coverage or not. if you rent a rug doctor, it will soak up the water better than a wet/dry vacuum....they cost like 20 to 25 bucks to rent for 24 hour and most bigger grocery stores rent them out.....good luck with you situation
I just recently bought a condo, but i dont not think that would be something that your insurance nor her insuracne would cover. That might go through the maintenance fee. Not too sure.





My best advice is to get a shop vac to try and soak up some of the water and see if that works. If nothing else use alot of towels..








Best of luck to you!
That just happend to me, but it was my sink in my upstairs salon, and into my closet in my basement. It got the wires all wet, and was causing a horrible scarry sound, and it ran down my inside walls, and soaked into the pergo flooring, what a mess. The insurance paid for it. But just to let you know, that once the wiring in the ceiling dryed out, it was fine. We didnt have to repair any of it. Good luck, I wish and hope you the best with your unfortunate disaster.
your screwed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment